We are seeking a Web Software Architect to join our team of talented software designers. Synacor Architects work in a fast-paced agile environment. Our products are high-volume and highly available multi-tenant web applications written in PHP, Perl, and Java serving millions of unique visitors each day. The Architect will be responsible for dictating design choices to software developers, including but not limited to: platforms, coding and technical levels. The Architect’s goal is to gain a complete understanding of the project needs and effectively communicate them to the software design team. A software architect spearheads all of the software development activities of the development team, he manages the full life cycle of the process, monitoring research, reviewing codes and supervising any testing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Synacor provides many daily challenges and interesting problems to solve! You would be responsible for managing our architecture review process, helping to ensure new products under development are robust and scalable, mentoring development teams on architecture design and operational concerns such as capacity, deployability, rollback, monitoring, logging, and debugging.
- Identify the appropriate software architecture based on the requirements and design elements contained in a system specification.
- Record software architecture in a software architecture document.
- Maintain and evolve software architecture documents based on evolving system requirements and industry trends and technologies.
- Analyze risk and report problems in meeting system requirements.
- Provide supporting information to the engineers to aid in the creation of a system specification.
- Assist systems engineers with the creation of detailed software design specifications.
- Lead the review process for software architecture documents.
- Participate in the system specification review process to ensure system requirements can be translated into valid software architecture
- Comply with all applicable product development processes.
- Perform detailed software design as well as implements and/or maintains code according to duties and responsibilities
- Ensure the overall integrity of the software architecture and validates it against the system specification.
What you’ll need to bring to the table:
We’re looking for bright, independent, self-motivated individuals. Experience succeeding (and failing!) at implementing web sites under high volume, or involving tens of servers cooperating together is a must-have skill for this position.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in computer science or related field
- At least 5 years experience in large designs and coordinating project teams
- At least 8 years of programming experience
- At least 3 years of experience with software source control and version control
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be organized, have an eye for detail, and be able to put ideas into a tangible form
- Ability to prioritize and manage work to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment. Ability to develop new approaches to complex design problems
What we’ll bring to the table:
- 100% Company paid benefits (health, dental, vision) for all employees and eligible dependents
- Competitive compensation package, including stock option grants (for eligible positions)
- Award winning company culture
- Casual dress and flexible environment
- Generous paid time off
- 25 cent vending machines
- Synacor also sponsors several open source conferences and local meet-up groups where you could attend or present topics which interest you.
- Free Spot coffee, popcorn and cappuccino
- Monthly company connections (get to know your co-workers)
- The opportunity to make a difference!
Synacor is not your typical 9 to 5 workplace. Our award winning culture doesn’t stop at flexible work hours and 25 cent vending machines. Jeans and t-shirts are typical office attire, even for the executives. Teamwork is an everyday occurrence, and is made easy with our new open workspaces. Our leadership team understands that the best results come from collaboration, so we hire the best and brightest and then let them do what they do best: create cutting-edge products and provide exemplary customer service. Synacor's headquarters is located along Buffalo's waterfront in the Erie Basin Marina. Taking a few minutes to enjoy the serenity of nature is as easy as walking 1,000 feet or so to the water. We even have a lakefront gazebo with wi-fi connection! And if that’s not enough, Synacor pays 100% of health care premiums for employees AND dependents, offers stock option participation, a healthy bonus potential and a very generous paid time off policy.Working with some of the largest cable, telecom and satellite providers, Synacor’s products and online services reach over 25 million high-speed Internet subscribers worldwide. We are looking for great people to join our team and be given the freedom to do the work they were hired to do.
OF TECH TALENT