Research Computing Center (RCC)
Office of the Vice President for Research and for National Laboratories (OVPRNL)
The University of Chicago
The University of Chicago Research Computing Center (RCC), a unit in the Office of the Vice President for Research and for National Laboratories, is dedicated to enabling research and advancing scholarship at the University by providing comprehensive, interdisciplinary HPC strategies, resources, and user support for University researchers. Research Computing was created in early 2010 as a result of a year-long review process set in motion by President Robert Zimmer and carried out by an ad hoc Committee on Research Computing Infrastructure chaired by Donald Levy, Vice President for Research and for National Laboratories, and supported by a team of outside experts.
The Office of the Vice President for Research and for National Laboratories (OVPRNL) oversees the conduct of sponsored research, technology transfer, research program development, multi-institutional research institutes, and national laboratory board and contract management functions. OVPRNL oversees the management of two Department of Energy contracts for Argonne National Laboratory and Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. OVPRNL works closely with individual scholars, departments, and divisions to encourage, seed, and coalesce research across the University, Argonne, and Fermilab campuses. This includes joint-faculty and -staff appointments between divisions and institutions.
The Research Computing Center (RCC) seeks a Web Developer to build and manage the unit website, develop tools that enable remote account management, and tie together the RCCs high-performance computing resources to the user facing site. The Web Developer will also consult with researchers to give them advice in the development of web interface features for their research performed on RCC resources.
· Manage the development of the RCC website.
· Interpret user-interface and functional design elements requests from a team of technical staff members.
· Build tools to enable integration of the RCC website with existing and future resources used for high-performance computing.
· Develop tools and interfaces to create and manage accounts and permit users to manage and display their account information.
· Advise RCC on technologies that intersect high-performance computing and web technologies such as connecting to cloud computing interfaces with REST APIs.
· Advise and/or help researchers create a web presence for research performed using RCC resources.
· BS in computer science or a related field, or significant equivalent experience
· A minimum of three years experience developing websites in a professional environment.
· Experience in web site and web-based application development and support required.
· Experience with HTML/XHTML and CSS.
· Experience with user interface design.
· Web programming experience with frameworks written in languages such as PHP, ASP, JSP, Python, Perl, and/or Ruby.
· Experience developing and designing websites and web management tools in a Unix based operating environment.
· Experience with relational databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.
· Experience with directory services such as LDAP or Microsoft Active Directory.
· Experience with revision control software.
· Experience with web service consumption and RESTful API preferred.
· Ability to understand complex technological concepts fundamental to operating in the high performance computing space.
· Experience with web analytics tools concepts, implementation, and best practices.
· Strong self-management skills.
· Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
· Demonstrated track record of successful project and time management experience required.
To apply for this position, please visit our Web site at https://jobopportunities.uchicago.edu and search postings for job requisition number: 091605.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.
OF TECH TALENT