Love news and public radio? Be a part of an innovative voice in Southern California digital journalism!
We're on a mission
At KPCC, we are on a mission to redefine how public service journalism can serve a diverse metropolis. KPCC is part of Southern California Public Radio, a member-supported public media organization that operates several radio stations in and around Los Angeles, and is rapidly growing its digital news platforms. We reach more than 700,000 listeners every week -the second-largest public radio audience in the nation -and our audience is growing. We broadcast lots of award-winning local coverage and programs, as well as the best NPR content.
Do work that matters
The Product Manager, Mobile News & Monetization will be responsible for creating elegant and sustainable mobile news sites and apps for a diverse public radio audience in Los Angeles. This includes surfacing requirements from all stakeholders, facilitating development and implementation of new business processes, and acting as liaison with third party vendors and internal development teams. It includes defining, documenting, developing, deploying, measuring, and monetizing mobile products throughout the product life cycle. The Product Manager works shoulder-to-shoulder with the technology team to create optimal mobile news experiences for general audiences as well as members and supporters of KPCC Southern California Public Radio.
Managing the requirements of various teams and distilling them into executable plans of action is a regular function of this position. Organizational, communication, and mediation skills will be stretched. Candidates must be equally comfortable in detailed technological conversations with engineers and covering conceptual topics with editorial, underwriting, and membership teams. The Product Manager is responsible for producing concepts, wireframes, and any other documentation required to prioritize mobile news products and digital membership features, and for testable QA goals post development.
We are looking for a unique blend of user experience expert, editorial team player, e-commerce fanatic, technophile, and avid public radio fan. The role requires someone who:
- Combines project management organizational skills with a product manager's talent for understanding how people engage with news and information in a social, mobile world
- Comfortably digs in on complex news processes and user interactions while weighing technological challenges and opportunities
- Embraces that KPCC's content is the product, and is eager to go beyond wireframes and work with editorial leadership to conceive new editorial products that are better suited to our digital audience's needs
- Wants to spend hundreds of hours in their first year at KPCC sitting with our audience and learning how they consume news
- Learns through curiosity and experimentation. You're constantly asking "Why is it this way?" and "What would happen if we changed this?"
- Wants to discover and fulfill the real news/information/entertainment needs of our audience
- Thrives in an environment of constant feedback -- from users, from the newsroom, from designers and developers
- Define mobile product vision for KPCC
- Identify market opportunities and strategies
- Actively participate in all functions of the mobile product lifecycle
- Create prototypes
- Conduct user research and usability testing
- Work with KPCC editorial, membership, and product development groups
- Create new revenue and membership products and services
- Help to maintain and improve previously launched products
- QA new features and troubleshoot live site/app issues
- Orchestrate product roadmaps
- Assist with the discovery, cultivation, and negotiation with mobile partners
- Prepare feature-set comparisons and other data to rank and compare third-party vendors
- Manage all third-party vendor relationships relating to mobile and monetization
- Ensure that analytics are properly incorporated into product development efforts
- Provide regular reporting metrics on the progress of launched initiatives
- Develop and execute communications/marketing plans to promote KPCC digital products and services
- A deep understanding of the digital user experience, incl. user behavior, personalization
- Exceptional taste and a strong sense of aesthetics as they apply to brand perception and emotional dimensions of design
- Strong skills in wireframing, rapid prototyping and iterative design process
- Strong analytical background with deep experience using tools such as Google Analytics.
- Experience in online advertising, traffic acquisition (SEO) and online media publishing
- Broad understanding of internet business models and the ability to perform basic financial projections
- Strong understanding of technical and system-related component of potential and existing products; must be able to identify and define technical requirements
- Experience shipping native mobile apps on at least one major platform, including the implementation of app analytics measuring usage and engagement
- Good understanding of project management (Agile) and software engineering processes and practices
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- The ability to think both critically and strategically
Why you’ll love it here:
You'll come in every day and work on meaningful challenges and interesting apps with a crew of smart, friendly, creative people. You'll get to work in a small, fast-moving team that is focused on making a small number of products the absolute best they can be. You'll get to use the best tools, and work in a team that has open sourced our best work and loves sharing our ideas. You'll be part of our bustling newsroom in the Mohn Broadcast Center, our beautiful office in the heart of sunny Pasadena, CA. We offer competitive benefits and salary, and support a diverse and inclusive work environment.
How to Apply:
For a complete job description and to apply online, please follow this link: http://americanpublicmedia.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-405357.html
OF TECH TALENT