You love building engineering teams and delivering winning products. You are looking for a rapidly growing startup that is at the right place at the right time. You are first a leader, then a manager, and finally an engineer. You are friendly, approachable and strive to build high-performance teams. In fact, you only build high performing teams because that is what you are about. You are analytical, precise and generally a very curious person. The company culture is key and must fit you like a glove. You have great judgment and do things the right way. Others follow you.
You are motivated by solving hard problems with simple, elegant solutions and feel great satisfaction from helping others. Hard problems captivate your mind and you don’t give up; you dig in. You have excellent business sense and delivering products that people want to use is what matters most to you. You are determined and hungry to build a tremendously successful, independent company. You are in it for the long haul and want to get in on the ground floor so that you can help shape the company and make it even more awesome than it already is.
You love the idea of data visualization and get excited about processing tremendous amounts of data to find the patterns and valuable insights. You have a thorough understanding of enterprise software, love consumer-quality usability, distributed systems, massively parallel systems, large-scale databases, operating systems and modern file systems.
As the manager of data processing technologies, you will be immersed in many technologies, including distributed systems, materialized views, multi-query optimization, distributed querying, scalable distributed data structures, main-memory databases, and fault-tolerant architectures, data visualization and related technologies only imagined in SciFi novels.
You will work with development teams that are designing and architecting our platform as well as customers and field personnel to create the most awe-inspiring product possible.
- Build and manage a “special forces” engineering team
- Provide real-time, meaningful, sensitive and constructive feedback to direct reports
- Coach and mentor junior engineers and other people who want to learn
- Develop and participate in programs to hire new college graduates and interns
- Align project assignments with career development
- Manage complex technical projects
- Motivate engineers to develop simple, beautiful solutions to complex problems
- Continuously improve the product and quality of work delivered
- Contribute to roadmap; help strategize and prioritize
- Collaborate with Product Management on technical requirements and trade-off’s
- Set team-level and engineering best practices around product development
- Be a “spiritual leader” for the engineering team
- Inspire the people around you with your positive attitude and general awesomeness
- Have an opinion; make it happen
- 3-5+ years of experience as a technical lead or manager
- Have written code in the past 5 years
- Currently or previously an expert in a programming language: Java, C, C++, etc
- Working knowledge of a Unix environment
- Excellent leadership and coaching skills
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies and short release cycles
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a computer science or an engineering discipline
- Advanced technical degree or MBA is a plus
- Experience managing mid- to large-size software engineering teams is a plus
- Experience in companies of various sizes; growing with a company is a plus
Platfora Makes Hadoop Amazing. We are revolutionizing the way companies work with big data. We are a Hadoop company - but not focused on the low-level plumbing like the other guys. We make Hadoop useful and unlock the value in Big Data in amazingly interactive ways for everyday business users and analysts. To get there, we are building an extraordinary team of Big Data and scalable systems experts, rock-star data scientists, and sublime UX/visualization designers. Join us on the journey ahead!
OF TECH TALENT