Synacor is in search of the world’s most creative and experienced engineering leaders! We are seeking a Manager of Engineering who will be responsible for leading a team of Internet Developers in a fast-paced and rapidly growing company. The Manager of Engineering will be empowered to establish and implement standards and practices to ensure the highest degree of quality.
We are looking for a hands-on technologist with a strong background in development with excellent management skills. They must also have expertise in high-traffic/scalable Internet architectures, Internet search and advertising technologies, online video, large-scale email deployments, and/or ISP/cable billing systems. This individual must be passionate and driven to produce results. They will work very closely with product owners, management and customers in order to develop and launch quality internet products which are used by millions of consumers on a daily basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage an Engineering team of Developers, and other technical positions
- Recruit, train and mentor staff members
- Set realistic objectives and perform semi-annual and annual reviews
- Reward achievement and address under-performance issues
- Maintain personal development plans for all staff members
- Manage Engineering projects
- Follow an agile development approach with the development team which supports the overall processes of the company
- Work with Product Managers and Project Managers to develop and maintain project backlogs
- Coordinate priorities of development tasks with product and client representatives and oversee their successful completion.
- Drive development teams toward high quality and on-time deliverables
- Deliver status reports to management team
- Lead architectural implementation of product development initiatives
- Maintain expertise in high-volume Web architectures, new technologies, and emerging architectures
- Ensure that all development projects are well architected and well planned, free of unnecessary features (gold-plating), and able to successfully scale to meet the needs of our high traffic volume.
- Arbitrate design disputes and communicate architectural decisions.
- Advocate correct usage of the platform to all development teams and managers
Education, Experience and Skills:
- 5-7 years of hands-on Internet development and architecture experience, preferably in a LAMP environment
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of Engineers (8+) in an agile fast-paced environment
- Degree in Computer Science/Engineering preferred
- Extensive experience with web technologies
- Online services industry experience required
- Good working knowledge of leading online consumer categories
- Excellent communication skills
What we’ll bring to the table:
- 100% Company paid benefits (health, dental, vision) for all employees and eligible dependents
- Competitive compensation package, including stock option grants (for eligible positions)
- Award winning company culture
- Casual dress and flexible environment
- Generous paid time off
- 25 cent vending machines
- Free Spot coffee, popcorn and cappuccino
- Monthly company connections (get to know your co-workers)
- The opportunity to make a difference!
Synacoris not your typical 9 to 5 workplace. Our award winning culture doesn’t stop at flexible work hours and 25 cent vending machines. Jeans and t-shirts are typical office attire, even for the executives. Teamwork is an everyday occurrence, and is made easy with our new open workspaces. Our leadership team understands that the best results come from collaboration, so we hire the best and brightest and then let them do what they do best: create cutting-edge products and provide exemplary customer service. Synacor's headquarters is located along Buffalo's waterfront in the Erie Basin Marina. Taking a few minutes to enjoy the serenity of nature is as easy as walking 1,000 feet or so to the water. We even have a lakefront gazebo with wi-fi connection! And if that’s not enough, Synacor pays 100% of health care premiums for employees AND dependents, offers stock option participation, a healthy bonus potential and a very generous paid time off policy.Working with some of the largest cable, telecom and satellite providers, Synacor’s products and online services reach over 25 million high-speed Internet subscribers worldwide. We are looking for great people to join our team and be given the freedom to do the work they were hired to do.
OF TECH TALENT