Lead Data Scientist RTB
Independent Digital Media Trading Partner for Publishers, Exchanges, Agencies, Advertisers and Networks
Reports to: CTO
Job Description/ Responsibilities:
The Data Scientist will be responsible for management of media and marketing data and analysis.
The Data and Analytics team is responsible for company and client data analytics, data modeling and decision making regarding recommended business intelligence tools, third party data and agreements and providing assessments of both potential and executed inventory purchases.
The Data Scientist will be responsible for the execution, oversight and management of the following (including related deliverables):
- Establish company as offering the best digital media analytics organization for advertisers, agencies and publishers that want relevant, cost-effective and transparent results and a competitive edge derived from best-in-class media buying and optimization execution.
- Build sustainable competitive advantage.
- Create and foster a winning fact-based analytical offer and team.
- Operate effectively as part of the Technology team.
Specifically, the Data Scientist responsibilities include:
- Review data and monitor inventory trends
- Work with technology team incorporate data enhancements
- Create recommendations for business development and trading teams
- Provide specific technical leadership for our Technology team
- Design and develop analytical systems to extract meaning from large scale structured and unstructured data
- Provide thought leadership for senior technical staff as well as executive team to ensure rapid adoption of appropriate technologies and processes
- Develop models for inventory optimization
- Recommend data, BI/statistical software and other vendors relevant to data and analytics
- Serve as client-facing analyst to help create publisher recommendations
- Develop short-term and long-term research and development initiatives, including projects that support Marketing and Business Development
- Create scalable inventory optimization and management systems
- Project subject expertise and serve as an industry trusted advisor
- Generate analytics team structure and vision
Major Initiatives During Startup Phase:
- Set up data structure and BI software with technology team
- Work through initial purchasing algorithms and assist team on inventory recommendations
- Support prospect and client needs as identified with or by Business Development and Operations
- Create compelling data and analytics value proposition that grows and changes as company grows and changes
- Source and manage selected vendors and business partners
- Provide continuous feedback to management team towards successful Proof of Concept and beyond
- As assigned by CTO and working together with department managers and Senior Management Committee (as applicable) in the planning and execution of short and long range goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures
- Design and create necessary analytical platform to meet stated goals, initiatives and responsibilities
- Develop and continually refine, in coordination with the publisher group, the company’s value proposition for advertisers and channel partners, including agencies
- Ensure from a quality perspective that the company is fulfilling on the execution agreements that it has in-place with advertisers agencies
- Help recruit, hire, train and mentor (inside and outside) Technology and other team members
Required Skills and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree. Masters or higher preferred.
- 5 years digital media and marketing experience.
- Demonstrated success in leading analytic and data initiatives, preferably in a digital media-oriented environment
- Ability to lead, coordinate and motivate a team of people, where and when necessary, to accomplish tactical and strategic objectives. Must have experience in dealing with and commanding the respect of senior executives.
- Effective organizational skills and process/project management abilities with strong attention to detail
- Analytical thinking: demonstrate the ability to think deeply about business problems and present solutions
- A minimum of 2 years media and/or market research experience
- Proficient and experienced in data analysis and report writing/presentation
- Experience coordinating work with third-party data vendors
- Expert in Microsoft Office and/or Google Applications
- Be equally comfortable working closely with clients and internal staff
- Have exceptional analytic, writing and communication skills
- Possess both a client service and detailed operational focus
- Syndicated research data and tool experience
- Proficiency in R or other math packages (SPSS, Matlab, SAS, etc.)
- Adept at learning and applying new technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong team player capable of working in a demanding start-up environment
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Graduate degree.
- Expertise with general purpose programming and data integration in addition to mathematics and machine learning
- Data warehousing and business intelligence systems
- Proficiency with Big Data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Avro, Scribe, Cascading, Tap)
- Proficiency with NoSQL databases (e.g., HBase, Cassandra, Mongo DB, CouchBase)
- SQL and relational database programming
- Advanced SQL
- Data modeling
- Dynamic and/or functional languages (e.g., Python, Ruby, Perl, Clojure)
- Agile development methodology
- Cluster and grid computing
- Cloud computing
- Designing and tuning high performance systems
OF TECH TALENT