Summit Partners (www.summitpartners.com) is a growth equityand venture capital firm with offices in Boston, Menlo Park, London and Mumbai. Founded in 1984, Summit has raised nearly $15 billion in capital and provides equity and credit for growth, recapitalizations, and management buyouts. Summit has invested in more than 350 companies globally in the technology, healthcare and other growth industries. These companies have completed more than 125 public offerings, and in excess of 130 have been acquired through strategic mergers and sales. Summit has a strong culture and its professionals are widely respected and liked for their integrity, collegiality and personable approach to working with each other and with management teams.
Associates lead our effort to identify attractive industry sectors and specific companies for investment. They attend tradeshows, review industry journals, develop Summit Partners’ proprietary database of private companies, and speak with more than 1,000 entrepreneurs each year in an effort to source two to three new investments for the firm. Additionally, Associates engage in Summit’s investment transactions by conducting due diligence, performing quantitative analysis, and working closely with their specific transaction team (generally two to four professionals) to help manage portfolio company relationships. Responsibilities of the Associate position include:
- Generate high quality deal flow through understanding attractive companies and industry segments for Summit. The Associate is expected to generate deal flow through his/her own initiatives and networking.
- For prospective deals he/she generates, or is assigned to evaluate, participate as an important and instrumental resource in the deal analysis, due diligence process and final investment decisions. The Associate will participate as part of the deal team in interactions with third-party advisors/partners including legal, accounting, consulting and lenders.
- Continually monitor and investigate macro and micro industry trends to recommend new sectors for evaluation and potential investment. Help to identify and drive Summit “Projects” which might lead to successful investments.
- Participate in portfolio management as requested by the firm.
- Act as a mentor to other Associates in the firm
Associates who join Summit Partners possess a strong record of professional and academic achievement and have a proven track record of leadership. The ideal candidate will have:
- 0 to 3 years of relevant post college work experience, preferably in consulting, investment banking or technical sales
- Engineering or computer science degree from a top undergraduate institution with a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Personal characteristics of maturity, integrity, collegiality, and self-confidence with strong networking and effective communication skills
- In-depth comprehension of financial statements and financial modeling
- Excellent business judgment
- Superior analytical skills
Compensation is highly competitive and includes base pay, bonus, deal sourcing incentives, and the ability to invest in Summit Partners’ portfolio companies. The Associate position is a three-year commitment, and some Associates return to the firm as a Vice President after business school.
OF TECH TALENT